Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sick baby girl

Ana Kate hasn't been feeling well this weekend. I thought she had a cold on Friday, so I decided to see if it cleared up over the weekend. She seemed fine, but continued to run a fever of 99 or 100 through Saturday. Then Saturday night she woke up at about 12:30 in the morning with a temperature of 103, coughing up mucus....and really congested. So we got dressed and took her to the emergency room. She felt so bad and she looked just miserable. They took her back right away and ran a couple of tests (one was testing for the flu, and I can't remember what they called the other one)...but both tests were negative. They also ordered a chest x-ray. This was probably the worst part for me. Have you seen the contraption they use to get a chest x-ray on an infant? It looks like a torture device....and Ana Kate sounded as if she were being tortured. But it served it's purpose and held her completely still for the two x-rays. It was so hard hearing her screaming and crying and not be able to comfort her until it was over. She immediately stopped crying though, once we got her unstrapped. So after all that they determined that Ana Kate has pneumonia. They thought it was just the beginning stages and that antibiotics should help her feel better quickly. So after a shot of antibiotics, a dose of tylenol, and a breathing treatment they let us go home. We got home around 3:30 am and went to bed. Ana Kate then woke up again at 6:30 am with a high fever again....so I gave her more tylenol and we went back to bed and slept until noon today. She seemed to sleep much better that time and I gave her the antibiotic and motrin when she woke up. So far her fever hasn't returned and she seems to be improving. She still sounds bad, but is sleeping much more soundly. I haven't had such a sick baby before....it was so scary! Please remember to say a prayer for her. I'm hoping she'll be back to her usual self soon.

I took a few pictures of her tonight and I must say she looks 100% better that she did last night. I've included a couple. I will post an update tomorrow.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, poor thing I hope she feels better soon.

jen